Pages

Monday 28 April 2014

A new blog on GUMSHOE

What? A blog entirely dedicated to GUMSHOE? But is GUMSHOE big enough?

Well, in my humble opinion I would say GUMSHOE delivers enough and much more, as I’ll try to show exhaustively in an upcoming entry. A more appropriate question is why to dedicate a personal blog just to GUMSHOE instead of the RPG hobby in general?

There are three main reasons:

It is one of my favorite games. Even when it is a modern game, with a great narrative weight, and I personally feel more comfortable with styles more proper of the Old School. Its innovative design by Robin D. Laws —the best RPG designer ever, period—, the exciting possibilities of its specific approach and its remarkable simplicity and versatility make me feel comfortable as Game Director.

The aforementioned simplicity and versatility have produced some extraordinarily unique games that belong to my particular RPG Olympus, with topics I find especially interesting and attractive, since (well understood) procedurals are superb for RPGs. In addition, compatibility is absolute, increasing the possibilities of the system with explosive fusions (no pun intended).

As everyone has little time and so do I, something everyone understand sooner or later, and so I have: focusing is mandatory. I cannot dedicate myself to the myriad of games I’d like, so I have to choose several, just a few, and work hard on them to produce interesting results. Considering all of the above, GUMSHOE is a sure choice.

And what is my proposal? Let's see ... Talk about the system of the several GUMSHOE games, propose changes and new rules, write adventures, create game settings and everything else that has to do with GUMSHOE. Even talk of related issues; Robin Laws constantly analyzes audiovisual narrative, and GUMSHOE is a system born of that commitment, so it is only logical to talk about movies and TV shows.

A weekly schedule is intended, with a tentative goal of posting every Friday. At first the blog will suffer frequent changes of style until it finds its aesthetically ideal and pleasing format.


Oh, and if anyone can advise me on how to deal with blogger to make a bilingual blog, he or she will have the eternal gratitude of all readers and I personally, as Game Director, well ensure that he or she be able to refresh an extra Reserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment